Monday, May 21, 2012

Finished the Book!

For the first time ever, I have FINISHED the book "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" and I have to say that I liked it.  This would have been a book that had someone told me kind offhandedly about one thing that happens at the very end of the book to a relatively uneventful character that you don't meet until the last fourth of the book, I wouldn't have read it.  Why you ask?  Because that character is a dog and it dies.  Having five dogs of my very own and already having lost one, I'm very big on my pups, but it isn't even because of that.  It's because I have this thing where I can't handle an innocent dying.  Like I just can't handle it.

And I mean this could be construed as I'm a pro-life stance in politics, but no.  Sorry to those you who think I think that. I'm pro-choice.  I would rather you get rid of your child before it experiences any pain or suffering if you are not ready in any way.  But no, the killing of an innocent upsets because they don't know what they did or why they are dying.   They don't know how to come to that conclusion and it's really just something that's emotionally stressful.  Like if [enter serial crime drama here], the killer kills the dog or cat before taking out the human or I see that.  I cannot watch that episode.  Like the worst thing a killer could do to me is hurt my pets and hurt my animals because they are innocent. 

And I mean like I can get behind some pretty gruesome murders when it comes to adults because I can sort of kind of justify that they did something or knew something that changed their life forever and they got to experience most of what life had to offer.  They also knew what the world was like.  They knew the world was a bitch and cold an indifferent.  You could murder a whole bus full of adults and it still wouldn't have the same emotional impact on me than killing one dog or cat or one child.  It just wouldn't.

But yes, other than that small detail which turned into a very long talk, I think it was a good book.  I liked it a lot.  I enjoyed reading.  It was broken up into chunks big enough to be interesting and short enough to be manageable from day to day things.  I mean the pacing could have picked up.  I think that was one of the issues of why I had picked up this book so many times and failed to finish all the way through until today.  The characters also could have had a little more interaction or made me care about them a little more.  I just for most of the character I didn't care if they lived or died which presented kind of a moral dilemna with some characters because you're supposed to care and you're supposed to have these big moments about their death when you don't care enough about it.

But yeah, overall a good book.  I think that I would recommend it to a few people, but definitely not most people.  Just because it takes a while to get into it and for most people that just won't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment