Thursday, February 16, 2012

Quote Analysis: "To live is to act and much good is done"

I have this saying on my Skype message "To live is to act and much good is done" to most it doesn't mean anything.   I'm an actor, of course I would put this little saying I thought up on my Skype, but it becomes interesting when you think about what acting really is.  

Acting is not just performed on stage or screen by pretty people.   We all act everyday.   We don't show our full selves to everyone.   There are times when we bite our tongue to save our jobs.   This is all acting and it's something that everyone does.   Even I, who try my damnedest to be honest, maybe to the point of brutality, doing this in my normal life.

So literally it is what it means, to live, to breathe is to sometimes to put on a damn good [or bad] show.   And it's something that I don't take very lightly.   We all have that in us.  We're all actors.  We're all leads in our personal movies and some people treat themselves like an extra.   They don't even treat themselves as a supporting actor in their own film.   They label themselves in the massive sea of faces.  And we are all special whether people want to tell us that or not.   I'm saying it, you, yes you who is reading this, you are special.  

So we've gone over the point in the quote "to live is to act...," and that would seem to be simple enough, but there is a second part to my quote.   "...and much good is done,"  it might not surprise you that I'm an optimist, but this doesn't refer to my personal belief.   It refers to the first part of the quote.   When we act, we are thinking of others feelings.  Either not hurting feelings of those that are in charge or close to us or we do something nice for someone and we don't want them to know.   Much good refers to what we put out into the world by keeping some things private and maybe telling lies to tell the truth. And it's done everyday.   It's done without thought and often times it couldn't be better said that we love it.

So to live is to privatize our live, to tell certain people lies so that they see certain truths about something or someone and by doing that we bring much happiness to ourselves and other people.   No one notices that it's wrong to act and that's because it's not.  living is acting and we all have our screen or our stage and we all have the audience we play into.  People see what they want and that is the good done in the world.   It's hopeful, but it's also complicated to live this life.  That's what's so fun about it though.  How dull would life be if everyone in my life knew everything about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment